Flowering Rush Survey and Eradication
We received approval for three years funding from Fisheries and Oceans Canada under the Habitat Stewardship Program for Species at Risk to continue to survey for Flowering Rush occurrences and start a control plan. Sask Energy has provided funding for this project in 2018 and 2019.
Flowering Rush is an ornamental plant that may cause a significant environmental and societal impact after it has started spreading down the South Saskatchewan River.
Flowering Rush can:
- Impede distribution of irrigation water
- Reduce water availability
- Interfere with boat propellers and fishing equipment
- Create a habitat for snails that cause swimmers itch
- Impact biodiversity of wetlands
- Impact fish habitat
SSRWSI began working on August 12th and continued to map out the Flowering Rush and do in plant removal until August 23rd.